My project is to produce a fitting memorial to BRIAN HAW who bravely campaigned against war for ten years in Parliament Square and also for the people of Iraq and the two million who marched in vain.
We are now fund-raising. Donations are welcome to: email@example.com or by cheque/PO to Brian Haw Sculpture account, 29 Tibbets Close, London, SW19 6EF.
He stood there in all weathers with constant police harassment and politicians trying unsuccessfully to remove him.
I am a sculptor and painter who was a friend and supporter of Brian along with my husband Michael Culver. I have been inspired to make a small sculpture (72cm high). This is based on his appearance a year before his death in 2010. It has been cast in Bronze and would serve as a maquette for a full size statue of Brian whom I would dearly love to have the opportunity to commemorate.
With our rights to protest being eroded a bronze statue in Parliament Square would be a symbol the government couldn’t ignore. A hero for peace instead of war.
A POSSIBLE INSCRIPTION ON THE PLINTH
A GIANT AMONG MEN: THE ESTABLISHMENT SAID HE WAS MAD: YET FOR TEN YEARS IN ALL WEATHERS HE DEFIED PARLIAMENT AND SAW THAT WITH OUR WARS WE WERE DESTROYING AND MAIMING GENERATIONS OF CHILDREN WITH APPALLING WEAPONS CAUSING GROTESQUE BIRTH DEFECTS.
PATRONS AND SUPPORTERS (In order or response)
- HAIFA ZANGANA author and political activist
- MICHAEL CULVER actor and activist
- CAROLINE LUCAS M.P.
- ELFYN LLWYD M.P.
- KEN LOACH film director
- PAUL FLYNN M.P.
- DENNIS SKINNER M.P.
- MIKE HANCOCK M.P.
- TONY BENN president of stop the war coalition
- NICHOLAS WOOD architect and writer
- SIMON JENKINS chairman of National Trust and columnist
- DAVID EDWARDS editor media lens
- JOHN PILGER film maker and investigative journalist
- MARK THOMAS comedian and political activist
- CRAIG MURRAY former ambassador and writer
- NICHOLAS KENT director of Tricycle Theatre
- EMERITUS PROFESSOR STEVEN ROSE
- EMERITUS PROFESOR HILLARY ROSE
- MARK RYLANCE actor
- CLAIRE VAN KAMPEN composer/musician
- ANDY DE LA TOUR actor
- SUSAN WOOLDRIDGE actor
- VANESSA REDGRAVE actor and activist
- DR CHRIS BURNS-COX activist
- NOAM CHOMSKY philosopher and linguist
- LORD FADER, (DJ the Loose Cannons) youth mentor
- RICHARD NORTON TAYLOR editor journalist and playwright
- BRUCE KENT political activist
- SR IAN MKELLEN actor and activist
Please sign the e-Petition here –>>> http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/4898